Roping Horse World
'
Roping Horse World
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )
'
Breakaway - all the thing you need to know to get started
Moderators: Administrator, CROSSFIRE

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 11/17/2019 10:16 PM
1 replies, 859 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Roping Horse World forumsRefresh
Message format

Kesper
Posted 8/11/2019 11:23 AM (#3045)
Subject: Breakaway - all the thing you need to know to get started

boon

Looking for advice from breakaway ropers out there! I want to start roping. I have a barrel horse I think could make a good rope horse and I’d like to enter another event other than barrels. She’s been roped off of and is super broke. Real fast out the gate, just more of a 3D barrel horse overall.

I know pretty much nothing about roping. I can swing a rope (who knows how correct I am) and have tracked the heel-o-matic and caught at a trot just practicing but that’s the extent.

I feel like this winter is the perfect time to practice and then try some amateur rodeos next summer? Is that realistic?

I’d love any all All breakaway roping 101 tips. What should be the first rope I buy? Length, thickness, whatever else.

Do you shoe your horses with sliders?

What bits do you use and/or any other equipment other than a roping saddle and rope?

Other things I need to know that I don’t even know to ask ??

Thank you! Please feel free to link good resources!

0 likes
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LDugan6914
Posted 11/17/2019 10:16 PM (#3057 - in reply to #3045)
Subject: RE: Breakaway - all the thing you need to know to get started

boon

I started roping about 6 years ago. I got started by going to a breakaway roping clinic. I learned a lot there! My horse is also a barrel horse that I just started to use to breakaway. She did really well, just gets hot in the box and I have to score a lot.

If I were you I would join a local roping club (if you have one near you). Meet people they will help you. Also, if you can find an arena near you that does open or practice roping for cheap, that is helpful.

I like to use a 10.5 Rattler Rope. They are about 50 bucks. I am not a pro or anything, I really just like to go to small ropings and do it for fun.

I put rim shoes on my horse since I barrel race more than I rope.

Hope this helps and good luck!
0 likes
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)